The canal was opened to great fanfare in 1820. Initially a commercial failure, by the mid 19th century the canal had become busy and profitable. It carried timber, building materials and coal to King’s Cross Station from the industrial north. It also brought fruit to marmalade makers, beer to bottlers and grain to a flour mill where Kings Place now stands. It even carried ice from Norwegian glaciers to Carlo Gatti’s ice house – now home to the London Canal Museum.
And today its towpath provides walking, bicycling, and cruising in the narrow boats from Camden Town to Little Venice, and beyond. And on this particular Sunday, the yearly Canalway Calvacade of narrow boats.